The SDI Rescue Diver Course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills to effectively perform diver rescues and assist and administer the necessary first aid in the event of an emergency. You will learn skills such as how to perform self rescues, buddy rescues, recognize and calm potential panic divers, administer proper first aid to divers that have experienced dive related injuries, conduct effective search patterns and manage accident scenes. After the SDI Rescue Diver Course you can enroll in the SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Program or start in the professional ranks and sign up for the SDI Divemaster Course.
What you can expect to learn
The rescue certification course is designed to develop the knowledge and necessary skills for an individual to effectively perform diver rescues and assists, and administer necessary first aid.
You will cover all of the following and more!
- Prevention and causes of diving accidents
- Stress and psychological factors
- Physical conditioning
- Surface drowning syndrome
- Diving lifesaving
- Self rescue
- Diver assists
- Surface and underwater rescues
- Types of transports
- In-water artificial respiration
- Boat and shore exit techniques
- Diver first aid
- Review of oxygen administration
- Hyperbaric injuries and management
- Information collection
- Access to a hyperbaric chamber
- Accident Management
- Access to emergency transport/assistance
- Accident reporting
- Liability and related legal considerations
Some of the in-water skills include:
- On the surface, identify and assist a properly equipped skin or scuba diver simulating:
- Breathing difficulties
- Leg cramp
- Early panic symptoms
- Locate and bring to the surface a scuba diver simulating unconsciousness to the surface from approximately 6 metres/20 feet
- Upon surfacing, transport the unconscious diver 50 metres/150 feet to shore or boat, simulating in-water rescue breathing
- Upon reaching the shore or boat, with the assistance of one aide, remove the diver from the water
- Minimum age 18, 15 with parental consent
- Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen (O2) provider (where local law permits) certification*
- Provide proof of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver certification, or equivalent, or open water diver certification and 40 logged open water dives
How much is the course?
Get started with Rescue Diver
Rescue Diver is provided by our sister company Paragon Scuba Academy. Click the button below to be taken to the Paragon Scuba Academy website to make payment.
Take the Next Step
Want to know more?
Ask more questions or schedule any of these courses Email Us.